At Penshurst CE Primary School we are committed to providing an inspirational and inclusive learning environment. Through our curriculum we will foster a love of learning alongside a culture of high aspiration and achievement. By providing equality in opportunity we will equip our pupils with the values, knowledge and skills to support them to enjoy an exciting and successful future.
Our personal knowledge of all our pupils allows us to personalise learning experiences and support our pupils to aim high.
Our vision of ‘walking in the shoes of others’ drives our curriculum supporting our pupils to make informed decisions, have opportunities to demonstrate compassion, friendship, determination and courage through their work and actions.
We use the ‘Penshurst Suitcase’ to explore attitudes and skills that will also support to understand that success can mean different things to different people. The aim is to allow them to draw from their personal suitcase as they journey through life now and in the future.
Quality of Education
Our curriculum is ambitious, we have high expectations for all our learners. Our core and wider curriculum deliberately provides opportunities to develop knowledge and vocabulary as these are the building blocks for a host of skills children will need in their life in and beyond school.
Our curriculum is knowledge rich, is well-planned and designed to provide many opportunities to revisit and activate prior learning; it aims to connect learning and develop knowledge over time – allowing our pupils to commit learning to their long term memory.
The school’s vision of ‘walking in the shoes of others’ and our Christian values of compassion, courage, friendship and determination underpin and support teaching in every lesson.
- Curriculum design encourages ambition and curiosity
- High expectations and aspirations for all pupils
- Good teaching and subject knowledge that inspires a love of learning
- Reading and vocabulary have a high profile
- Pupils should know more and remember more
- Pupils aim high and have inner drive to be successful
- Pupils understand that challenges can lead to growth
- Pupils have confidence in themselves to be the best they can be
- Pupils are proud of what they achieve and their achievements are celebrated
- Pupils develop positive relationships that support them to flourish
Our curriculum, including the wider curriculum, aims to prepare our pupils for the ever changing modern world.
- Nurture academic success, creativity and imagination
- Provide a broad and balanced curriculum that allows pupils to explore a range of subjects that will expand their experience
- Provide a curriculum which prioritises reading; acknowledging the importance it plays in learning
- Develop a sense of community through our links with local residents, groups, Penshurst Place and St John the Baptist Church
- Encourage children to ask questions, challenge views and demonstrate an understanding of the school’s vision to ‘walk in the shoes of others’
- Secure the highest of standards for all our pupils
Art & DesignRead more...
Design & TechnologyRead more...
English - PhonicsRead more...
English - ReadingRead more...
English - SpellingRead more...
English - WritingRead more...